It began as a childhood memory, rice and ground beef in the skillet. I believed it had a few colors in it along with some mushrooms. My mother had no recollection of this concoction that she once created. So over the years it was trial and error, trying new things, searching, and wondering if what I ate or what I saw was the missing dinner that I longed to eat. I have finally perfected this mystery meal and ready to share it with you all.
A few years ago, I had Sausage Wraps on the menu. I loved eating them, yet they took so long to make; boiling, wrapping, stuffing, baking, basting … So, I opted to throw all of the ingredients into the skillet instead. What began as a simpler way to create a more difficult meal has become a family staple (with a few changes). As ground beef prices continue to soar and purchase limits are put in place due to COVID-19, it is time to be a little creative with the meats that we use in our meals. I share with you, Sausage Spaghetti to save the day!
4. Slice 1 Green Pepper or 4-5 Mini Sweet Peppers.
5. Heat skillet on medium heat with 1 Tbsp Olive Oil. 6. Place sliced sausage and pepper in the heated skillet. Stir and flip until browned and peppers are ready to eat. I use my Pampered Chef Tongs (pictured below).
7. Add teaspoon garlic powder, teaspoon onion powder, teaspoon basil, teaspoon Italian seasoning, a pinch of salt & a pinch of pepper to the sausage and peppers.
8. Add jar of sauce to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Sauce should be nice and warm and have taken on some of the favors of the seasonings. Add 2 Tbsp starch water and stir. 9. Stir in pasta noodles to skillet.
As the weather warms up, I seek out light meals full of protein and nutritious fresh veggies to delight our tastebuds. As I continue to crave garlic and lemon, I decided to try out a creation of my own. This Creamy Herb BLT Pasta Salad is a combination of a new recipe, classic sandwich, with a creamy twist.
Boil water and follow directions on box of BowTie Pasta. Drain and set aside.
While waiting for pasta to be complete: finely chop package of bacon bits, cut in half the half container of grape tomatoes, and cut the 6 pieces of romaine lettuce in bite size pieces.
3. Now that your protein and fresh veggies are cut, it is time to prepare the creamy herb dressing. Start by placing your mayonnaise into a medium sized bowl (Classic Batter Bowl pictured above). I find that it is easier to measure the mayo by tablespoons rather than fill up a measuring cup only to have to place in your bowl. If you heat up your measuring spoon under hot water it slides right off. There are 16 tbsp in one cup.
4. Squeeze half of a lemon into bowl with mayo.
5. Cut 2 green onions into small bite size pieces using a manual food processor or even a food chopper and place them into bowl. 6. Press 1 clove of garlic into mixture. 7. Add 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tbsp dill, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp white pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt and stir until ingredients are well mixed together. 8. Place cooked pasta, chopped protein & veggies, and creamy herb dressing into a serving bowl. 9. Serve warm or chilled. You may store Creamy Herb BLT Pasta Salad for about 3 days in a covered container in the fridge.
Simple & Scrumptious!
What are your favorite pasta salads for the summer? Please share in the comments below. I will be posting a recipe here each week!
Until next time – a latte of sparkles & giggles,
Please note, I am an Independent Consultant for Pampered Chef. Product links are directed to my personal Pampered Chef website and if items are purchased I will be compensated for these items.